Don’t miss WNBA’s 3rd Annual Writing Contest!
Fiction * Nonfiction * Poetry
Deadline Thursday, January 15
* Online submissions only
* Unpublished work only (Previously published work is acceptable if the journal/website
had under 5,000 circulation.)
* Fiction: 3,000 word max. (Includes flash fiction, short fiction and novel excerpts.
Novel excerpts must be stand-alone. Do not include explanations, synopses or back story.)
* Nonfiction: 2,500 word max. (Includes essay, commentary, memoir.)
* Poetry: 3-5 pages maximum
* WNBA Members: $15 per entry/Non-Members: $20 per entry
* $250 cash prize and publication in a special contest anthology of The Bookwoman,
the official publication of the Women’s National Book Association
This year’s fiction judge is Michelle Hoover, the Fannie Hurst writer-in-residence at Brandeis University. Nonfiction judge is National Book Award winner, Deirdre Bair. Poetry judge is Ellen Bass, award-winning author of Like a Beggar and The Human Line.
Read what previous winners have said about winning this prestigious writing contest:
“I can’t think of anything that helps to get a poetry editor to carefully consider work more than reading in the submission letter that the poet has won a national award.”
~ Ellaraine Lockie (2012/13 poetry winner)
“Since winning this award, I had a workshop proposal accepted for the Massachusetts Poetry Festival, and I have had poems accepted at several journals. Thank you WNBA!”
~ Rebecca Hart Olander (2013/14 poetry winner)
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.